Jake: We got an announcement, Shard. Oh, do you want to tell people the announcement? I.
Chard: If I had access to the email, I could tell you about it, but I don't have access to the email, so I couldn't tell you about it.
Jake: Am I the only one checking the email on this show? Sorry.
Chard: It is because I don't have access to the email, Jake.
Jake: Well, who's. Whose fault is that? I don't know. All right, the man with the password guard chart. Like, hey, give a dude password. Now that's a whole other problem. For the first time in forever, it.
Chard: Feels like we're getting sponsored by Dr. Pepper. Let's fucking go.
Jake: We are getting sponsored. Not by Dr. P, they're not. They don't. They don't talk to me for some reason. But we did get a sponsor. We got. You want to guess what the sponsor is?
Chard: What? Popeyes?
Dave: Squarespace?
Jake: No, Popeyes. Not gonna sponsor me after I trash her sandwich the first three seconds of the stream. No, I think we're good. That's fine. Popeyes should be. I should be sponsoring Popeyes. That's. That's how bad it's going to be. Getting slandered on Press B is going to kill your business. That's how it works.
Chard: Oh, yeah. We carry a lot of weight in this. This.
Jake: Folks at Balatro, we gave them that bump. That's how we do things here.
Chard: The ballot trope.
Jake: No, the ballot row bump. No. We are sponsored now. Press B is proud. Proud to be sponsored by Amish Furniture Outlet. That's right. Amish Furniture Outlet. Your family friendly source of fine craftsmanship and wooden furniture available nationwide. I think they even have a few in the U.S. jared, if I'm not wrong, they might. I'm going to tell you, I just bust my back last night to get this deal signed. I had to give two chickens a cow and help raise a barn last night. My back is killing me. But I did it. I secured us a sponsorship, so I feel a bit proud. The only thing, Chard, they're Amish. So we got to kind of keep things G rated, if you know what I mean. So just want to put that warning out there. No swearing.
Chard: Is this my last episode?
Jake: Then we're all going to get canceled. It's a. So we got to keep things family friendly.
Chard: I need a wicker gaming chair.
Jake: All the sponsorship can go through. Can I get a gaming chair? Yeah, a wicker. Well, more. More like a solid pine gaming chair. It probably doesn't swivel. It's probably hard in the back, but it's quality From Amish furniture outlet Rocky. What's. What's this week's topic? Jard Fresh picks.
Chard: Best tentacle game out there. Jes.
Jake: Whose idea was this one? J. Yours regrets today? Regretting that chicken sandwich. I'm telling you right now. Holy crap.
Chard: Don't chicken sandwich over the intro.
Jake: I'm gonna be dying.
Chard: More regret. For that matter, more regret.
Jake: Welcome everybody to another episode of press be to cancel your favorite. I was just reminded today, Retro podcast this week. First off, we got a special guest. Second off, we got a new sponsor. And third, we've got a fantastic choice of a topic. I'm pretty proud of myself for picking this one out. And is it an excuse to be a grab bag of games we like? Maybe. But there is a theme. But I'm not doing this alone. I can't do this alone. I'm joined by a chard. How you doing this week, sir?
Chard: I have eight points of excitement for this discussion. That's a tentacle joke, by the way. Eight tentacles. Eight points.
Jake: I just got it. Thank you. And also we're joined by a special guest returning to press me to Cancel Dave from Remember 64 Show. How you doing? First off, congratulations. You just had a baby. And also double congratulations because you just started podcasting again your last week's episode, which is great with Jiggy. So how you been?
Dave: Good as any new parents will attest to. Or just parents in general. I'm exhausted, but all in the right ways and for the right reasons. So, no, it's been really great. We had our son back in June and I slowly. Once he decided he wanted to try to sleep somewhat normally, I was like, you know what, I got to get back to this. I thought I was going to get back to it sooner, but took about six months before I got behind the mic again. So yeah, it was wishful thinking. But I'm happy to be back. I'm happy to be able to talk to you guys about this eight topic, eight point topic. And yeah, just in general, honestly, just happy to be back behind the mic and talking about games like just in general, regardless of what show it's on.
Jake: Not gonna lie, I will say somebody with three kids, the first 10 years are rough, but after that is easy. So a decade ago, 18 years.
Chard: I don't have kids, I just have dogs. But I'll tell you what, my puppies took me away from streaming too. So I can only imagine having a chill child has just double that. So congratulations, man, that's awesome and thank you thank you.
Dave: Yeah, it's been great.
Chard: To the soundscape.
Dave: Thank you. Yeah, it's. It's great. I'm excited to, as he gets older, to find these opportunities to share, you know, games and that kind of life with them and stuff. Because it was huge for me. Like, I was. I was the first person and one of the only people still in my family that, like, loves games and have played it. Played them my whole life and stuff. A couple of my younger cousins are into them and stuff like that. But I was like, me and my brother were, like, the guys that played games and our friends and stuff. Like, we're sort of the first generation to be involved with that. And I'm just so happy that, like, I can have those opportunities going forward with him, too. So it's gonna be fun. I just. I hope he likes it, or he's just gonna have to deal with it, and I'm gonna force him to like it.
Chard: But, dad, I want to paint too bad. Play Mario.
Dave: Mario. I have Mario Paint behind me.
Chard: There you go.
Dave: Mario Paint. Where is it? Right there. There it is.
Chard: Hit the flies with the fly swatter.
Dave: Yeah, Mario Paint. You can make music in Mario Paint and everything.
Jake: It's.
Dave: It's educational. You can do some cool.
Chard: Get them started early in the. Well, soon.
Jake: I will. Yeah. Part of being a parent is forcing your kids to do everything that you wanted to do at their age. That's. That's just kind of what we do.
Dave: Absolutely. Absolutely.
Chard: That's why I'm bad at building cars. Thanks.
Jake: You know who's not bad at building things? Amish furniture outlet Chard, who build only the finest in wooden furniture.
Chard: They are bad at building cards because the Amish don't use electricity, if I'm not mistaken. So they probably don't build a lot of cars. They build a lot of buggies. And I bet they're amazing at building buggies.
Jake: That's true. All right, so, look. Bit of a weird topic this week, I'm gonna admit. They'll be the first one to admit that, but I think it's a good one. I think this is a topic. This is a category that should have been an award on the game awards last year, but Jeff Keighley's too afraid to give the people the topics. They deserve to crown the champion of a genre that just does not get touched very often. And that is.
Chard: That's not true. Tentacles get touched a lot.
Jake: You don't think so? Okay, maybe they get touched eight times. I don't know. For the best games that feature tentacles. So we're going to start off with chard. I'm going to start with you because you're the most dressed out of all three of us this week. In theme. I'm actually surprised.
Dave: Yeah.
Jake: In front of even.
Chard: Yeah.
Dave: Let's clarify. In theme.
Jake: Yes. In theme. Yes.
Chard: Understand. My state's. My. My state's hockey team is a Kraken, which. We have kraken paraphernalia, which is all very tentacle based stuff. So I was like it put it on tonight. That's perfect. So I represent my team and a pretty interesting topic.
Jake: So. So when they go around the arena, instead of the tomahawk chop, is it like the tentacle slap? Is that what you guys do?
Chard: Yeah, it's just. That's just eight times flying around.
Jake: Okay. Yeah.
Dave: Oh, you don't just turn around and smack the person behind you. Like it's not.
Chard: Yeah, yeah. And you say tentacle slap. A lot of. A lot of red faces. Don't be in the very back. So tentacle games. So games. Games with tentacles in them.
Jake: Yes.
Chard: Right now I'm gonna gush about a game that has quite a few tentacles in it. And it's also got some Cthulhu esque bingo. If you look at my Cthulhu slippers back there that I have in the background. I'll go grab them here in a minute. I want to talk about a little known boating game that goes by the name of Dredge. Dredge is a. It's a fairly recent game. I think it's three years old. Three or four years old?
Jake: No, last year.
Dave: Last year.
Chard: Was it last year?
Jake: Yes.
Dave: Yeah, it was on my. Yeah. When I put my list together for my favorite games last year, it was like two or three. It was right up there.
Jake: I really.
Dave: I love this game. Absolutely play. I've played through it three times. How about that? In a year and a half.
Chard: I just got it this year.
Jake: I've never played it, so you're going to have. The guys are going to have to sell me on this one, I think. I think Wolf said his brother played this one and loved it. But I've never even. I heard of it, but I don't even know what it's about. So you have to break it down for me.
Chard: You're in luck. So game is. The premise is basically very cool indie art style. It's almost like papier mache kind of art style look to the game. There's not a lot of solid lines, but it. It sells it well. You basically Wake up. In this town, everybody is terrified except for the mayor is super positive and he's like, you had a boat crash. Tell you what, we're gonna sell you one of our shitty boats and you can use this boat to go fishing for our town. And we'll pay you what you bring back to us. And that's it. And you go fishing and you fish around the town and you go dredging up stuff. But the town has a secret. There's some dark secret that goes on because the mayor tells you, do not stay out at night and beware the fog. The fog is a little bit. It's a little fucked up. Well, it turns out. Sorry, Amish. Basically, I know there's one.
Jake: One.
Chard: Strike one. I told you, it's my last podcast. I gotta go out with flames.
Jake: We're lose our new sponsor in the first. First episode. It's not good.
Chard: Perfect. Dr. Pepper, we're still looking for you. Anyways, so you're going around and you're fishing and the night befalls you and you see a red light shooting out of the water and one thing leads to another and you find a man that's on a mansion in the middle of an aisle. And the guy is looking for some cursed objects, essentially. And as you go through this game, you find that you're looking for some Cthulhu esque type, old style, eldritch horror kind of items that are sprawled all over the map. And you go around in your boat to different locations in the aisles and you dredge them up and you pull them out. But there's always some kind of mission you have to do to get them unlocked, for example, which is why there's tentacles in this. There's an entire area that looks like a Sarlacc pit out in the basin area and within the middle of it, you keep count all you want. I hope there's a timer. I hope you edit a timer for how many times I'm going to get.
Jake: I'm going to call from Jebediah and he's going to be really pissed off at us.
Chard: Well, tell Ezekiel to shut it because I'm trying to talk about a game. Anyways, sorry, Amish people, we're gonna lose that, Lose our viewership here in Amish country. Anyways, anyway, they go, and you, you. There's a. There's this creature, this creature with all these tentacles. And you. When you float into the middle of the basin, it beats the hell out of your boat and sinks you. So you have to figure out how to calm it down. Before you can sail over it. And it's quite terrifying because it's literally, it's enormous. Like it's. It takes up half the. Half the screen and it's all these little like tentacles. And the area is really cool because at nighttime everything has like a luminescent phosphorescent lighting underneath it. So it's kind of like eerie in a sense. But so my favorite tentacle, one of my favorite tentacle represented games has got to be dredge. And you have to play this game. It is really cool. You upgrade your boat. You can get faster and better fishing equipment and go out and do like deep sea fishing and you find treasures and stuff and, and there's all these different side quests and secrets and all these things that you can find out there. And it's all very. It's actually terrifying because when it gets dark, you really don't see much in front of you. The fog rolls in and you get anxiety every time one of the colored swirls kind of attaches itself to you. There's an eyeball up in the upper corner during nighttime that'll start looking around. And if that thing starts flashing all kinds of colors and looking around, very like sporadically weird happens to your boat. Like a giant angler fish will come and bite your boat. Things will attach itself to your fish that you're trying to sell and poison it. There's a whole bunch of different. I have not finished this game yet. I'm on like the last mission. There's two DLCs that you can do for this game too, that came out recently.
Jake: Really?
Chard: And I'd love to get my hands on.
Jake: Yeah, they're good.
Chard: But man, this. Yeah, this is a great. I'm going to go to bed. I need something to kind of just chill and mess around with. Yesterday. Yesterday night, my wife was driving the boat with one stick and I was propelling it with the other. Just because we were playing it together, because we were just whatever. And it was fun. She was out. I was like, go that way. And she'd steer it. And it's, it's just fun. It's, it's, it's not mindless. It's got a great story. But you can just go fish and just be, be at peace and chill. It's. It's a great game. And it's like, okay, it's like 20 bucks on steam. I got it on Gog for free because they released it for free over there.
Jake: Oh, absolutely.
Chard: Worse. Every last penny. I, I almost bought this again because I Was having trouble running it on my Steam deck, but eventually I updated all the stuff. Works. It works spectacular on the Steam deck. It's a great game to just sit and play. So Jake, when you're sitting at home and you get an MP for. You get an MP from us and you're like, guys, I don't know what to play. I need to play something mindless. I always want to suggest dredge to you because it is. It is perfect to just. And it's not long.
Dave: Yeah, but you.
Jake: You said casual chill game. But then you also. This game was terrifying.
Chard: It is terrifying. It's not like dead space. It's not like. No, I wouldn't say terrifying.
Dave: I think it has, like. It has good gangxiety, like thriller type.
Chard: Yeah.
Dave: Thing. But. But it's mostly like the setting. Not even necessarily what happens to you. They do a really good job of creating like a dark atmosphere. The sounds. The sound is really good if you're playing with headphones and stuff. Like, there's little things like that. Like sometimes when you have like that high anxiety, for example, or you're. Or it's dark and you don't have like good lights to see further and stuff, sometimes you'll hear things and think something's coming after you, but it's just your character thinking something's there and you're sort of going faster and maybe you're burning too much fuel or whatever. And then you look behind you go, oh, there was actually nothing there. It's just. There's little small touches like that that are really cool. I think the map is like the eyeball.
Chard: I start popping up in the water, flashing when you're start. Because it's just your anxiety playing tricks on you. And there's a point to where, like, if you shine your light in certain areas, a rock will appear out of the water. Like just an invisible rock will show up and you can run into it. So you're just trying to get back to a. To a wharf so you can sleep. Because when you get into a bay, you sleep it off and then you're fine the next day.
Jake: But.
Chard: But there's a lot of really cool nuancey stuff to it.
Dave: And there's advantages to going out at night because there's only certain fish that come out at night and there's only certain interactions you can do. So you do have to sort of push that limit every once in a while. So it's like, ooh, do I push it? Do I? Do I go? Do I? And then you. You are rewarded with it if you like quote unquote, survive and everything. So I think like that balance that they have is great. And I don't know, I just like, I love this game from the beginning and I, I've. I've literally played through the main thing three times and I played the DLCs, I think a year ago. Earlier. Yeah, roughly a year ago. Maybe in the summer. I played in the spring last year whenever they first came out and they were great. They're awesome. The new areas and new fish and new like quest things you got to do and it's. Yeah, it's great. I love this game.
Jake: Is it a roguelike like sorry if I missed out the beginning chart. Is it like a random map or is it a fixed map?
Chard: It's a fixed map. It's not generated. It's not procedural.
Jake: It's.
Chard: It's basically. It's a five. It's almost like a five point star map. There's stuff up in the corners and stuff on the bottom, stuff in the middle and like one thing at the top or whatever.
Dave: And it's a good size too. Like if it's like, oh my God, I got to all the way the other end of the map to go deliver this thing or find this other area. It's only going to take you a few minutes. Like it really is. They do a really good job of doing that too. So you might be going from A, B and C in like one, you know, day cycle or whatever, but it's going to take you like 10 or 15 minutes to get that stuff done. Like it's, it really doesn't, it doesn't waste your time.
Jake: There's always.
Chard: Yeah.
Dave: Even if it's small, there's always something to do.
Chard: And if you don't want to stop to fish, there are options to get a net so you control. So you can just right drive around and grab fish while you're moving around. You can drop.
Jake: That's not the legal part.
Chard: I don't know.
Jake: I don't know about that one.
Chard: In these waters. These, these waters.
Dave: Lawless waters. Lawless waters.
Jake: Lawless waters.
Chard: But there's a really cool and interesting story. Story that goes along with the game. That and it doesn't take a lot to like, you don't drift out of it. It's. It's very much part of the storyline and it, and it plays really, really well. I, I recommend this game to anybody who's like, I need a roguelike to play or not a rogue. Like, sorry, I just need an Indie game. There's something just to kind of kill some time. Totally worth it. It's so good. Yeah.
Jake: The way they described, I thought it was a roguelike or procedural, but if it's a. If it's a fixed story, I might actually be in for it right now. Like, I like roguelikes as well, but. But I kind of just want the story, I think, and just the relaxed type of game. Dave, you said you beat it three times. I'm trying to figure out where the replay value is in it.
Dave: I just like. I like the, the cycle of the game. I just, I don't know, side missions.
Chard: You can miss too. There's people that you find on other item islands that you can talk to that have you go out and do stuff. I'm probably not going to do everything on this playthrough. I just want to kind of see where it goes. But I may. I would definitely come back. There's definite replay value for this because just. Yeah, this is like Grand Theft Auto for fishing. I could just get in there and go fishing for hours and see what, what. What I find out there. You get a whole encyclopedia and you can unlock every fish that you find out there. And there's some cool. Like they're really creative stuff. Yeah, there's abnormality fish that you find that are possessed by. And when you pull those out of the water at night or like dusk or. Or early morning, they got some really cool designs for the fish that you can.
Dave: One of my favorite parts of this game too is very specific to those moments when you pull them out of the water. You know, part of the sort of way to sell people on loot boxes is like, oh, the sound and the light and oh my God. Gets your senses going in this. You pull up like a fish that's kind of weird and it plays this chime that feels like you won something but is also kind of creepy. And I was just like, oh, I love, I just, I love that little like subtle touch that they have in the sound design. And like that's enough for me. It's like little things.
Chard: I like the, the excerpts that they write about the fish. Like what's wrong with it? What it's. What it looks like and stuff.
Dave: They all have their own background where they can't when they have come from and whatever.
Chard: Yeah, yeah, it's really neat. Like it's, it's very creative. Like it's like a sentence or two of like. Yeah, the bones are on the outside of this fish and it uses it as Some kind of protection while there's a black ooze leaking out of its pores. You're like, wow, this is cool. What is this thing?
Dave: Yeah.
Chard: Yeah.
Jake: Why am I not surprised? Charlie likes the game where the lore is on the fish in the game. You're not printed on the animals. Yeah. You're not wrong. That's wild. So, yeah, I should check this one out. It doesn't look like it's expensive, and I kind of feel bad. I missed out on the gog sale when it was free. I saw it and I'm like, ah, you know, I'll pass. I don't want to put gog on my Steam deck, but I really probably should have jumped on that one.
Chard: Get that hero launcher, dude. Done and done.
Dave: Yeah.
Jake: Yeah, I gotta set that up again. It's okay. What's this one rated, though? Chard. This. This looks like a 18 plus game. Really?
Chard: No, I mean.
Jake: I mean, not that I've seen. We got a new sponsor chart. I kind of said topics.
Chard: You know, I can't. People think so certain ways I don't.
Jake: You know, off brand with this episode. It's kind of disappointing. It's okay.
Chard: I'm off brand. If you want an Amish sponsorship. All the electricity I have in my room, I've got more neon lights than Vegas. Let's go.
Jake: It's okay. Ezekiel can't watch this. He has no electricity himself. But he'll get a postcard halfway through the episode.
Chard: Getting a transcript of the whole thing.
Dave: More code.
Jake: Transcript. A telegram. Yeah, telegram. All right, well, I got a pigeon.
Dave: I can attach a letter to if you want.
Chard: There you go. Perfect.
Jake: There you go. Yeah. A flying fish. It's all right. You know what? Let me go next. I'll. I'll set the family friendly tone that I was originally looking for, and Dave can. Can go with his round afterwards. I tell you, like, we just have one thing to do. Just one episode to be, you know, family friendly. We can't even do it. That's okay. My pick. So my pick actually is not out yet. It comes out in February. Like that. Oops, sorry, sorry, sorry.
Chard: Wow.
Jake: My pick comes out in February.
Chard: Kettles black around here, but, oh, boy.
Jake: Get whacked over the carton buggy for that one. Look, my game comes out next month, but I got access to it early. I got a sneak peek at this game. It's a demo, if you will. And my game is Tentacles Party with Nuns. Now. I hate it here. My game is. It's very tentacle focused as As I explain it and let me just read the description. In this perilous ancient cathedral, unravel the mysteries and curses within protagonists and embrace a new future. It's a coming of age story, Chard. Get it? Yes.
Chard: It's like, it's like Rochelle, Rochelle from Seinfeld.
Jake: Now, I don't want you thinking this is a naughty game. That would, that would be like off brand for me. I would never do that. But let me show you a clip from this game just for those watching at home or on the YouTube. You know, it's important that we show the games off. Here we go.
Chard: Why do we have production meetings if you're not going to talk to me about what the hell you're going to show?
Jake: Oh, looks like I didn't pay the cable bill this month. The channel scrambled, but. Was that a nipple? God, I hope not. Maybe that's just an elbow. Wow. I don't know. I don't know.
Chard: Okay, this brings me back to Skinx.
Jake: You're going to have to take my word for it that it was a. It's a family friendly game. It's Tentacles Party with Nuns available on Steam, which is actually a real game. You should all check it out. It's got dlc, including. I'm going to turn off the channel. It's including one for asmr. You know how family friendly ASMR content can get over on Steam. Everybody should check that one out. Dave, how about you guess your pick next? What is your tentacle themed game?
Dave: Now I. Now I am actually going to go family friendly, I would say.
Chard: Good.
Jake: All good.
Chard: Please put us back on the rails.
Dave: So it's not focused around tentacles, but there is one particular character and of course I have to bring the Nintendo 64 to the show. It is Bubbler from Diddy Kong Racing, which is one of the boss races that you do. And it's just a giant squid octopus that you just go in a circle around with the hover vehicle and try and win the race. And I just. One of the reasons why this is like the first thing that came to mind is because I just think, first of all, this is the best kart racer ever. It just is. And this is one of the. One of the reasons why is because it has like boss fights, boss races, it has a story, it has a single player mode. You don't just pick a track and do three or four laps and that's it. You have to actually like use your skills and you race these characters twice. The second time you pretty much have to race perfectly on all of them, not even. Not just this character. Otherwise you gotta restart. It is so freaking hard. Dang. Found it. It is difficult. And these.
Chard: Guest got the. He got the. He got the.
Dave: I got the memo. Yeah, I read the TPS report, so thank you.
Jake: Thank you.
Dave: And I just. I think that, like, touches like this is stuff that you don't get enough in racing games or in kart racers more specifically. And then at this time too. And I just. I don't know. I just love this game of the way it controls it is Superior to Mario Kart 64. Anyone can argue with me on that all day. You are wrong. I'm sorry, but not really. And I. And you know, the character has like a voice. Like it sort of sounds like he's underwater when he's talking and like stupid little things like that.
Chard: I love it.
Dave: I just. I love this game. It's just a good excuse to talk about it. And L literally was. Was the second game that came to mind. I can mention my first one later if it's not going to be mentioned, but this was the second one that came to mind and I was like, I got. I got to talk about this game. Got to talk about it and tell everybody that it's better than Mario Kart. That's all.
Jake: When you mentioned this one, I thought it was. Well, it's funny you mentioned that because Rolling Stones just released a top 50 games of all time list. Oh, and they had Mario Kart 64 on there, but no other entries. And the first thing I said is, like, if you're going. If you're gonna go with the N64, Diddy Kong is way better than Mario 64.
Dave: And if you're gonna go, maybe pick any of the other ones. Because it's like the. It's like the worst one.
Jake: Like eight Deluxe is freaking amazing. It's fantastic.
Dave: The original one's better than 64.
Jake: Come on. But when it. But when it comes to N64, Diddy Kong is definitely. Is definitely tops. It was rare who made that one, right?
Dave: Yes, it's rare. Yeah.
Chard: Yeah.
Dave: Because I was.
Jake: Because you just did an episode on with. With Jiggy on your podcast. Remember 64. You just did one on.
Dave: Was it Mario Mario Mickey Speedway Speedway, Mickey Speedway usa. Which is also rare. I never played it back in the day. And it's. It's not bad. It's not. It's not this. It doesn't have the same sort of like single player thing. The multiplayer is kind of the same. It's a kart racer or whatever. It's not bad. But it, but it's rare, so it's made well, it's balanced. It feels like the maps are cool and like creative and stuff. And it's Mickey characters, it's Disney characters, so it's kind of cool. But yeah, if it's rare and it's the N64, you got to at least try. It doesn't matter which game it is, honestly.
Chard: Because rare had a really strong grip on the N64 during its eight. During its time.
Jake: Huge. They.
Dave: They owned it, man. Like, they, they were that console for a lot of people, like me included. At that time. I was too young to be like, o, I'm gonna dabble in this and this and this. It was like, no, no, no. It's Mario Party. It's Diddy Kong Racing and it's, you know, and Goldeneye and Banjo Kazooie. Like that's, that's what I had. Right.
Chard: Golden Eye was rare too. I forgot golden. Wow.
Dave: Yeah. Perfect. Dark. Yeah.
Jake: Like Donkey Kong 64. Like they got, they got all the franchises on the N64 from, from 007 to Donkey Kong to Mickey. Right.
Chard: The rare machine.
Jake: Well, that's how wild it is now that they're not even with Nintendo anymore. Right. They're their own thing now. They're more in Microsoft than now Nintendo. And that's wild to think about when. How close relationship they had with Nintendo back in the day.
Dave: Yeah.
Chard: Crazy.
Dave: So it's. Yeah. Diddy Kong Racing. Everybody play it. It's better than Mario Kart.
Jake: That's all I had to take the video down because I only had a three minute clip of that boss fight. Because this guy's a pro gamer. Because when I tried the bosses in Nitty Kong, I. I knocked my head against the wall for half an hour. They're hard. All the boss is super hard.
Dave: They are hard. They are hard. Yeah.
Chard: All our episodes are an hour long because Jake takes too long to beat his games.
Jake: I did beat Eldon Ring, so I think I've improved my gaming skills.
Chard: We also do it for center stars so we can play 8:3, 8:8:2 over and over again.
Jake: I mean, hell, I beat 8:2 just on my lunch break today. So I was gonna say I beat.
Chard: A two when we were starting this podcast up, so I was getting my.
Jake: Jersey with a tendineled hand, no less. It was fine.
Chard: Everything.
Jake: Yeah. Huh? Have you, have you guys beaten Diddy Kong Racing? I'm just curious if there's actually an ending to it or no, I have not played.
Dave: I beat it back in the day. I beat, I mean, replaying it for the show, replaying it just for fun or whatever. I, I, I hadn't because it was like, it does like those, those boss races. Like especially when you, when you race against like the big bad, the whiz pig guy, like no mistakes. You need to like, they talk about pattern recognition for, you know, souls, like games or whatever, you know, things like that. Like it is perfection. Otherwise you can't even beat most of those races. So I just don't, didn't have the time or probably the skill anymore to do it. But back in the day I beat it a couple times because I always played this game. Always.
Chard: Yeah.
Dave: Loved it.
Jake: Yeah. I love a good kart racer. I'm always excited to see what they're going to come out with. The rumors right now for the Switch 2 is that there's possibly Mario Kart 9 coming out this year or early next year.
Dave: Let's hope.
Jake: I don't know what the hell they're going to do with Mario Kart 9 when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has got, I don't know what, 50 tracks or something insane. It's nuts how big that game is. But I always kind of want them to go back and do another Diddy Kong racing with have other Nintendo franchises in a kart racing game. I think that would be something would be neat to do. So I keep thinking to do this again just, it wouldn't be rare. I guess it would be.
Dave: Yeah. I mean, you know, the people that made these games are not really at rare anymore anyways. Like it's a different studio. They're, they, they're the Sea of Thieves studio at this point. So, you know, and that's fine because that game's, that game's huge. People love it, like it. That's, that's all they do and that's all they need to do and.
Chard: Right.
Dave: They're, you know, owned by Microsoft and it is what it is. Right. But the vast majority of the people that made games like this are either not in the industry anymore or they're doing something way different. So I don't know. Good kart racer is always fun. And this has always been my favorite and goofy boss quote unquote battles. I like it.
Jake: Yeah. So I just won't talk about the vaguely racist elephant that's in this game.
Dave: Yeah.
Jake: Me and Wolf dumped all over him a few times before.
Dave: Yeah. Yeah.
Jake: It was a game from a different time. It's a Solid game though. Just hard. Yeah. Good pick, I guess. Char, do you want to do your second pick? Sure. I mean I've already done mine to show you how family friendly the picks can be. So I'd appreciate if you tone it down and not do an R rated game this pick. Just, just heads up.
Chard: Anyways. Okay. So my next pick, my next pick is another kind of indie game that's got.
Jake: It's.
Chard: It's kind of a retro style, inspired kind of. And it's called Corian. Karian Carrion. I don't know how you pronounce it in Canada. I just want to make sure with a U was my Corian.
Jake: It's carrion.
Dave: It's carrying a. That's what it is.
Chard: Carrying a. Carrying a. Carrying. But.
Jake: I'm going to bring up the bagged milk icon again just for you. Charge.
Chard: Let's go.
Dave: Do you have baked milk in the house? You have, you have a few kids, you must have bagged milk, right?
Jake: My, my, my one daughter, my one kid will go through a whole three bag like pouch bag of milk.
Dave: Three liters.
Jake: Yeah. If we let her. Yeah, three liters and change. She.
Dave: I was like that when I was a kid.
Jake: How much milk she drinks.
Dave: Yeah, I was like that as a kid.
Jake: Bowls of cereal for days. Yeah.
Dave: Yeah.
Chard: So bag milk is a game where you are a. You're a creature, you are a monster. You're essentially a monster, but you're a little blob of a monster with tentacles shooting all over it. And the concept of the game is that you are trying to escape a secret creature detention center essentially where you are being experimented on and nothing can get in your way. So you are several different legs of fury and destruction and all kinds of crap. You can.
Jake: Oh yeah, kind of gory. Char you.
Chard: It's very gory. You eat people to gain health and gain your life back. And as you're going, you find basically nuclear reactors in this place. And every time you find one, you get a new power out of it. And the more people you eat, the bigger and stronger you become and a lot more scarier you become. It's basically just a blob with sharp teeth, tentacles and circular mouths. This game is so much fun to play. If you're just in for some rock and destruction and chaos, this is the game to be. And it's pretty difficult because there's some, there's some hard enemies that like to put you down here and there. But you get some kind of sonar, you could sneak around some things. It's got a little bit of some like, you know, stealth style questing that you can do, but it's a puzzler where you're trying to find a path to get out of this different location. And there's a story that goes along to it as with it as well. I think I sat down to see how this game played when I had it for a while and I ended up playing it for four hours. And I couldn't stop playing it because it was so much fun and so addictive to play that I would recommend this to anybody. Like I said, it's in that pixely, retro, pixel style, artwork style. So it's got that little retro talk to my heart. It's smooth. So it's like the 60k frames with the whole thing and it is just freaking amazing. It is so much fun to play. It is so wicked. And just being able to eat all the scientists that you, you feel vindicated because you're are. You're the creature that they've been testing on and you have broken free and now you're just going to kill everybody that's messed with you. But you're also finding out a story about the creature of what you were before you became this. And it's, it's pretty interesting. I still have a theory because I haven't finished it, but my.
Jake: When did you play this one?
Chard: That's going to be wild, huh?
Jake: When did you play this game? I haven't.
Chard: I played this game probably a year and a half ago. It's. It's been a while since I fired it back up, but I specifically remember going, I have to go back to that game because it was a lot of fun. This could definitely be a Sisyphean type game because I don't believe it's going to be super long like all the other ones that we kind of picked. But I might stream it at some point because it is, it is a lot of fun. And again, it's a puzzler. So you die, you repeat, you go back and try and do it again and, and stuff like that.
Jake: So it's not a Metroidvania then?
Chard: It's kind of a Metroidvanian. Yeah. Because you get powers and abilities that allow you to access different parts of the map that you couldn't access before. So that very much has a Metroidvanian feel to it for sure.
Dave: I, I remember the artwork. Let's see, what does it say? I looked up, it says 2020. It came out. So it's not that old that, that it Was getting like pretty strong reviews and stuff too. I was like, oh, I got to try this. I got to try this. And I never got around to it then I just looked it up when I just searched. It now looks like it is or is about to come to game pass. So if that. That people have, it's another way to get it too. So absolutely worth it. It looks it. It has always piqued my interest. I just, I never. I never played it. That's awesome.
Jake: Yeah.
Chard: I need to see if I can get it on the steam deck because I bet this. I don't know how it would play because it's very mouse oriented. Like that crosshair that you see is kind of can move. Move the creature with the mouse. So I don't know how it would play.
Jake: Deck mouse pads are really, really well designed and I think it'd be fine. Like, I. I've done some twin stick shooters on the steam deck and it feels like this would be similar. It'd be fine.
Chard: It's. It's a lot. Well, I, I know Mr. Merv has played it in the past, so one of our viewers that. That was pretty talking high on it. And it's. It's just wicked. It's wicked fun. I think it's a really cool concept and a really great idea, so would highly recommend playing this and. And checking this one out. And there's a ton of tentacles. You are nothing but a mass of bloody tentacles of teeth.
Dave: Yeah. It's the most tentacle that we have. We have talked about so far. I would say it is.
Chard: It is. It is very tentacly centric.
Dave: Yeah.
Jake: Oh, hi, Ezekiel.
Chard: I can't call you. They can't call. He's breaking his rules.
Jake: Look, sometimes Amish got to break the rules, you know, But Chart, he's kind of pissed off at you.
Chard: Good.
Jake: I'm sorry. Look, look, it won't happen again next week.
Chard: We'll do it absolutely.
Jake: Well.
Dave: He can't hear you. He can't hear you.
Chard: Jake's gonna go clean some buggies for my potty mouth.
Jake: We officially got canceled. I hope you're happy with your. With your tentacle adult pick. Basically porn game. But that's okay. It looks really good. The graphics are really awesome. I do like the sprite work.
Dave: Really cool, like lighting too. I love when they have like the sort of pixelated retro feel, but then the lighting is just, you know, much more modern sort of. I love that touch. I love when games do that.
Chard: Yeah, it's great. Look, great feel and it's super smooth. It plays so, so smooth and it's just kind of fun. You can pick up like you saw him picking up boxes and ripping off gates and stuff. It just.
Dave: Yeah.
Chard: Remember guys, I like to play games that make me feel like a badass. And the further you get in that game, you feel pretty damn cool. Like you really pretty rocking. So definitely going to be something that I need to add to my list of things to play again because it's, it's pretty badass.
Jake: As me a cracking. You're saying, oh, this is probably the chill, relaxing game for chard then you're devouring the bodies of scientists as they run away and scream. They do scream.
Chard: That's pretty fun.
Jake: Definitely a horror fan.
Chard: They just scream when they're running from you and you're eating them. They're like, ah.
Dave: It'S the best.
Chard: It is the best. It's a great.
Dave: Torture is awesome.
Chard: I love it.
Jake: God. Well, I mean.
Chard: You'Re a trapped creature and you are avenging yourself, you know.
Dave: Sure.
Jake: It's just nature is healing. I get it. It's nature. Nature. Yeah. That's a good one. I actually never even heard that one until you, until you showed it. This is actually a really good pick. This is why. This is why the tentacle episode is a good idea. This is why it should be at the game awards. There's so many games that get looked over. I mean there's no tentacles in Black Myth Wukong. There's no tentacles in whatever the one. You haven't been it yet. Come on now. It's been, it's been a week.
Dave: Does Astrobot have 10?
Chard: Sorry, I have a full time job. I'm busy.
Jake: The soul's like you're usually done those.
Dave: In like some of us work for a living. Damn it.
Chard: I'll get it done on Sunday. Don't worry, boy.
Jake: I'm out here busting my ass raising barns, selling chickens to get a sponsorship deal just tossed away in the trash. All right, sorry. Carry in. Okay, my bad. All right. I guess I should do a serious pick. Let me do one. Now that we lost our sponsorship, I can go with my family friendly pick that I had before. I'm going with Ship of Fools. This is a game that came out. First of you, have you guys played Ship of Fools? I don't know if you guys know.
Chard: I haven't and I have not had the opportunity to fire it up. But Wolf talks about this game.
Jake: Yes.
Chard: And he loves this game. And I really, really need to get my ass in there. And start playing it.
Jake: Yeah. And that's why I started playing it. He told me he was playing with his kid and I'm. And I was looking for like a co op game to play with my daughter. We us play Nidhogg, which is a dispensing game but she's starting to get good. So I needed something that was co op for my. For my gamer cred. So we started playing Ship of Fools. And it's a roguelike which I'm hit or miss on I guess. But Will swore by it so I gave it a shot. For those who've not played it, you have a ship, hence the name Ship of Fools. And there's a very interesting cast of weird that can talk Cthulhu characters, but definitely weird monstrous characters like frogs and bugs and whatnot. But the roguelike comes into that. You. You go out of your ship out into the ocean and it's proceeds a generated map of hexagons. And each one may have certain things like you'll find cheddar chests which will have loot, hidden stores, hidden challenges, warps, that kind of thing. So every hex is a little bit different and it changes every time you go out there. The tether glass becomes in the first boss. I would love to tell you about the rest of the game. I've been playing this game for a year. My daughter and I have yet to beat the first freaking boss.
Dave: Wow.
Jake: It's. It's a tough ass game.
Chard: That was one of the things I didn't think I was going to get very far on it by myself. And I haven't had a chance to sit down and play with anybody on it. So that's one of the reasons that I was like, I don't know. I got a lot of hard games on my plate. I don't know if I need any more games.
Dave: Right, Right. And it definitely doesn't present itself that way.
Jake: Right.
Dave: Like that's the thing.
Chard: Right.
Dave: It's very deceiving. I love the look of it though. Oh my God.
Jake: Yeah. It is a difficult game. Like I. I can't imagine playing this by myself. It's definitely a game that's better with one or more people. I guess it's only two player game possibly. But it's definitely better with more than one person in that the way the game is, the ship is set up. In some ways it reminds me of Sea of Thieves, where on Sea of Thieves you could maybe play a ship by yourself. But it's always more fun with friends. Yeah. Because you all have things.
Dave: You can do more with it too. Yeah.
Jake: Yeah. So in Ship of Fools, there's a heavy duty focus on the shooting of the cannons to kill the enemies, but you have to reload them. And it's mostly manual and some of the maps, the ship will move up or down on the map, in which case sometimes you have to move the cans. You pick up the cannons and bring them to the other side of the ship. And that's where it gets frantic. As you're moving cannons to the optimal spot, you're shooting them, you're reloading them, you're grabbing everything that moves. And if something shoots and you miss, it lays eggs on the ship. And then suddenly you have things spawning on the ship. So you have to go over there with a shovel and you got to whack the crap out of them to kill them. And if you don't, they start to eat your ship and. And deal. Damage your ship. It's a pretty difficult, punishing game. As you go through the run, you'll. If you're lucky, you'll pick up coins and you can use them to buy like planks to fix your ship. You can sometimes get shrines or like idols to put on your ship. But they all take valuable space like slots on your boat. But some of them are like. There's one, It's a bird that lays eggs. What do you do with eggs? Load them in your cannon, of course. And you shoot the eggs. Right. Another one is like. It's like stuff like that. My daughter is like obsessed with. Before we leave town, she has to go to the beach in town, whack a seagull, pick it up and shove it in a cannon. Because you get a couple shots of seagull the first. The first couple encounters.
Dave: And then you pull up this game and you try and get your right.
Jake: Right. And then. And there.
Chard: Then we go home and we play.
Dave: And then you place your foot.
Chard: That sounds like.
Jake: And that's why we're not allowed at the park anymore and we're banned. That's okay. But it does friendly. The more you play. Family friendly. That's true. Yeah. Get arrested together. The family gets arrested.
Dave: Life lessons.
Jake: That's how we learn animal abuse.
Chard: Now we drink Family closer.
Dave: Now we drink bagged milk all the time. Exclusively.
Jake: That's how we do it. No more chocolate milk for us. No. So it does start off super hard. And the roguelike elements are that if you die, you go back to the beginning. Everything is reset. You. There is a currency you pick up the further you go, the better you do. You get a certain currency you can use on permanent upgrades for your ship. Things like more shields, more stat points, more slots for cannons. You can upgrade your cannons. I believe there's four or five different cannons. One will actually shoot on its own, which is great when you're playing by yourself, but it doesn't do nearly as much damage and doesn't shoot nearly as fast, but it does shoot on its own. Another one, you only load it once and it's big shots of damage. There's that one as well. So there's different items that you can. You can unlock as you play. And again, there's. There's four different. I don't know if it's separate maps or biomes, but there's definitely four different bosses. But the. You get to the end of the map on the first. First stage, which again, we have not beaten. And it's. It's neat. It's cool in that tentacles rise up from the water, hence the theme of the episode. And they basically circle your ship and they'll start coming in and rushing to smack at your ship. And you have a short window to kind of rush over there and smack you with your shovel. So it's that frantic thing of you want to shoot the tentacles as they circle around your boat, but then you also want to whack the ones that are going to hit you first. And then as you survive. And it really does feel like you need to survive. Let me see if I can pull it up here. Where is it? Here it is. As you're trying to survive, the map pans up and then a maw comes out of the water. And then you guys start shooting the maw to deal damage to it. And it gets pretty wild. Maybe I can't find the boss fight. But anyway, it's a really cool boss fight and the atmosphere is really rad and the music changes. The tone of the map is really cool and it feels. It feels like a deadly encounter.
Dave: Nice. This game reminds, based on your description and just looking at it. So looking at it, it looks like a game that Clay has made Clay entertainment, which are the guys that do don't starve. And Grifflands and Rotwood and Mark of the Ninja, one of my favorite indies ever, sort of has that really cool cartoony art style. And then some of the like mechanics that you're talking about reminds me of FTL if you guys have played that.
Chard: Okay.
Jake: Oh, I love ftl.
Dave: Yeah. Where you have a ship and you can play it. I think you can play with other people, but it's like all these different components in your ship and someone attacks you or you're doing a fight and, like, it's. You know, you have to sort of run around and sort of repair things and manage your. Your weapons and your shields and whatever and all that kind of stuff. And it feels like it has, like, a similar type of idea, which I love. And that game's also very difficult, but it's also a lot of fun, too, so. Oh, shit. Look at those tentacles.
Jake: Yeah. Yeah.
Dave: It is nice.
Jake: On Brand wasn't kidding. And it's frantic. It's just. It's definitely frantic. And it's very difficult. It's great. It's great when you're playing with somebody on the couch together, whether it's a kid or with your spouse. It's definitely a fun game. I wish I listened to Wolf earlier and tried it sooner because it is a. It is a great game. It's. I think when he first recommended it, I was kind of knee deep into Hades. I didn't want another roguelike, so I kind of put it off for a while. But now that I'm kind of done with Hades, I wouldn't mind put more. More time into this one. I would love to get past the first freaking boss. I would actually like to be good at this game. Right.
Chard: Roguelites. I'm the same way with Enter the Gungeon.
Jake: Man.
Chard: I want to be so good at that game, and I am so bad at that game. And for a while I was getting there, but I can only get to, like, the third level. Beyond that, I couldn't get any goddamn further.
Jake: It was.
Dave: So, yeah, it's. That's tough game. It's fun, but it's tough.
Jake: Yeah. Yeah.
Dave: I love me some roguelikes. Love it.
Jake: It's a good genre. And again, it runs on the Steam deck. That's how we play it. Not the greatest at performance, which is kind of odd because of the art style. You think it would run better than it does, but it does run. It does run okay. But it's definitely, definitely one to pick up. And it's like 20 bucks, I think normally. I think it's $8 right now in Steam, it's on sale. If you don't have Ship of Fools, totally worth picking up. Especially if you're going to play it with somebody else. I wouldn't play it alone. Bring somebody to play it with you is the way to go. Right. This.
Chard: The artwork in this is very reminiscent of Ren and Stimpy. And I like it.
Dave: Oh, yeah, that too. Yeah. A little less rough, but also. But also. Yeah, like, very shaky.
Chard: It's like it's got that shaky smoothness to it, like, if that makes any sense. It looks very, very running to me. It's like the Tenacious D video for.
Dave: Yeah.
Chard: The love making one that I. Yeah.
Jake: I need a call from the Amish again. Chard, we keep going down this path.
Chard: It's just they already canceled us, so who cares?
Jake: All right, that's true. Back to beaver buzz we go, I guess. All right, Dave, you're up. What's your. Your next pick?
Dave: I mean, technically I have two, but I think I'm gonna go with the one that I thought of immediately when he said this. When you. When you first told me. And it's going back over 30 years now. I'm trying to find the exact date of when it was first released.
Chard: That is.
Jake: I love how our guest is the one that brings the retro picks.
Chard: He did his homework.
Jake: The retro podcast.
Dave: I did my homework. It's just. It's just top of mind. Day of the Tentacle, which was one of the first. Probably one of the first games I ever played. I wouldn't be surprised, you know, if it was out in 93, the one.
Chard: I suggested for the episode, Jake.
Jake: But then you didn't pick it because.
Chard: I had other picks.
Jake: I felt bad that.
Chard: We've given you a gimme. You don't. You had one. I gave you a gimme, Jake.
Dave: I can give you my other one if you want.
Jake: No, it's. Or you can already have a tentacle party with nuns. That's. That was my other pick. I'm. I'm done.
Dave: That's true.
Jake: Wow. Yeah.
Dave: You've done your work. Yeah.
Jake: No, day of the time. I never played this once. You have to explain it to us.
Dave: This is. It's a point and click adventure from the early 90s on PC. That's what it is. And the tentacles are. I think there's one. From what I remember, the way the story goes, it's been so long since I played this, even though I bought the remaster when it came out like 10 years ago and never touched it because I was like, I love this game, and then just didn't play it, of course. So technically it's a sequel to Maniac Mansion, which was made I think the year before, two years before or something. Very cartoony, art style, goofy looking characters. It's all fully voice acted, which is awesome at the time. That was just like such a Huge deal too. And you're just, you're trying to save the world or you're trying to save your friends when there's like an evil tentacle that's trying to take things over with like an army of other alien tentacles with like a laser gun. It's just doesn't make sense. No, it's just a cartoony, weird setting and an excuse for you to have a point and click adventure. To find a key to open this thing and talk to this person in order to get to the next area of the mansion or to get to the next area of the property you're on or go in the sewers. It's just, it's so hilarious. It's, you know, it's a point and click cartoon comedy. That's what it is. And has that sort of like more old school style to the point and click stuff where it's very like, okay, you have to click here to walk two steps. You have to click on that person and talk to them. You have to grab that thing out of your inventory with the bar that's at the bottom of the screen. Like it's very step by step thing. You don't have to type your, your actions in which you would have to do in games before this. But it's close. It's close. It's just if you don't have a mouse, it's going to be hard to play essentially. And it's just one of those like really old school games. And I just vividly remember playing this at a friend's place. His older brother, who's three, maybe four years older, got this and was like, you guys got to play this. It's hilarious. And we just sort of like sat there and figured things out together. So I have that sort of nostalgic feel of four of us sitting around this computer that barely ran this game at the time, trying to figure out what we have to find where it is and just sort of go through this goofy adventure.
Jake: Yeah.
Dave: Data Tentacles. It's a classic. If you haven't played it, I'll look up to see just exactly how long it actually is. Estimated but I'm sure it's not crazy long. And it would be worth. Yeah.
Jake: I mean these kind of games. Once you know the route, it's usually not too bad to kind of go through them. Yeah. And they're also like. These are the guys who did Secret of Monkey Island, I think. Right. Same LucasArts.
Dave: It's.
Jake: It's early different.
Dave: Yeah.
Jake: Well, I was gonna say their games are different. Than Sierra because Sierra games are the ones I grew up with and those ones are always difficult. A lot of trial and die when I played through Secret of Monkey island, it was more humor, more the experience, less of challenge.
Chard: Right.
Jake: And I think similar where it's like, it's the story, it's the journey and it's kind of a fun experience. I always wanted to play it. I loved Maniac Mansion. I don't know why I never tried this one out.
Dave: Oh, this is a vast improvement. It's so much easier, especially nowadays. Way easier to play. Way easier because you could just. All you do is sit there with your mouse and it's just literally point as. As point and click as you could possibly get.
Chard: This is definitely a Sinistar esque type game. Like I know I've heard discuss this.
Jake: This would be his pick if he was here.
Chard: Yeah, absolutely.
Jake: Yeah, this is. And this is a great pick.
Chard: This is the first game I thought of too. When Jake even brought this up, I was like, this has got to be like, this is made for this episode. We might as well just do a whole episode on Day of the Tentacle.
Dave: I. I would do it. I would do it in a heartbeat. Like, it. It's just like it's. There's so many wacky. You go back in time to try and stop the tentacles that are trying to take over. Like you go back to like before George Washington was even, you know, the first quote unquote, George Washing. Like you go back, it's kind of like has like the sort of force Gump approach to like history where like you're involved in these big moments that happen, you know, that, that you know, Forrest Gump. Insert some stuff into all these moments. That's what you do. Like you're at that moment where you know, George Washington is making this decision about the future of the country and like little things like, it's just. It's so funny. They find a way to make it to get that done. And if you've had. You've played anything that like Tim Schaefer has been involved in. This is like early Tim Schaefer stuff. So that's. That's all you. If that piques your interest at all, go play this. You'll see where things start and see why all the stuff that they basically made after this feels kind of like this.
Chard: Like this. This is definitely something I would love to. To go through it and play again.
Dave: Yeah, me too. Me too.
Jake: Yeah.
Chard: I love the typical animation.
Jake: Watching YouTube. This is the remastered version and the Remastered looks really slick.
Chard: Pretty good.
Jake: Really great.
Chard: I love the tentacles. Eye and mouth and nose are the. Just the suction cup of the tentacles features.
Dave: Yeah.
Jake: Those are the facial features.
Dave: Yeah.
Chard: I love that. That's so funny.
Dave: Yeah. It says on how long to beat that, it's roughly six to eight hours, depending on what you're doing. Okay.
Jake: Play this.
Dave: Which isn't bad at all. Right. It says main story five. It's weird. The main story on Remastered is five hours. The main story on the original is six and a half. I don't know. That's just how people have logged it, I guess, is kind of what it is. But I think if you are sort of not going by a guide or anything, it sounds like you could probably. You could definitely get this done in less than 10 hours. So that's pretty sweet.
Jake: Yeah. And, like, the reason I like the lucasarts ones is where if I were to go back and I have. I have played some of the Sierra games recently, and it's all about the score and the points. And you can really screw yourself if you miss something in the early portions of those games, like, I remember Police Quest 4, I think it was, where if you don't adjust the sights in your gun at the right time in the story, when it comes to a critical point, like 10 hours later, you die. And that's it. And it's. You basically need to roll back to early, save hours before you don't really have that problem in Monkey island and the other LucasArts games. And I'm assuming it's similar to this one, where it's. It's more, again, about the story than the challenging gameplay, which I think I'd appreciate more.
Dave: The challenge is the puzzles that you're in per room. That's. The challenge is figuring out how do you.
Jake: That's.
Chard: How do you.
Dave: How do you get to the next point of the story? That's. That's the puzzle. That's the challenge.
Jake: That's it. Yeah. God, I love this horse.
Dave: Yeah.
Jake: The character designs are really, really good.
Chard: I like the cat playing with the stupid mouse.
Dave: You have to get that mouse. That mouse gets you. You have to use that mouse. That's part of one of the puzzles. I was using that mouse later in the game. I remember that.
Jake: This is good stuff. That's right. It's a good pick. That's definitely the one we should have started with. Chart. That's okay. I think I'm done on my picks. I know I've brought two solid picks to the table this week. Chard, you said you had an honorable mention you wanted to bring up.
Chard: Well, the whole thing that started this episode was this particular moment in gaming history. As I was playing Dead Space Remake, and everybody knows that plays Dead Space Remake or understands Dead Space Remake, There's a whole scene of a tentacle that drags you across the ship for a good chunk of change. There's actually a really cool story on YouTube about how that defining moment in the game almost broke the game. I suggest everybody go and take a watch. Listen to that. It's pretty good.
Jake: Okay, nice.
Chard: But, yeah, there's a scene where the, the tentacle grabs you and it's dragging you across the floor, and it stops and pauses, and you have to use, you know, whatever gun you have on to aim for the glowing section of the tentacle and shoot it. But what, what makes that cool is the way that it is designed to do it, because you're looking at it from an, an angle of you lying down or in an awkward angle, and you're trying to move the mouse or control or whatever you're using to line up your laser shot with that thing, and it makes it very. It's challenging. And then, of course, every five seconds, it drags you a little further, so you get thrown off to try and do it again. And it's a timed event. If you don't get it, it sucks you down a hole and kills you. So. And there's a whole section of fighting a massive creature in a storage container that is full of mouths and tentacles. And so this is what. Jake was watching me play that on my, my Twitch channel, and he was like, we should do a story about this stuff. And I laughed at him about it because I was like, that's the most asinine thing I've ever heard.
Jake: But then who's laughing now?
Chard: Like, our guest, all of us collectively. The tentacles in there. That's a good one. And then, you know, I was playing dredge. I'm like, there's, there's jellyfish, and then there's that huge octopus creature that's in there. That's some good. This could be good. This could actually be something where we don't talk about the same goddamn games that I gush about. The Elden Rings, the dead spaces, The Silent Hill 2 remakes. I, I, so I tried very hard to actually dive into this one and find things that was more representative of the topic at hand rather than being, you know what my favorite tentacle game is? Elden Ring. Let's talk about Earth Tree for another hour, you know, because there's things in there with tentacles. But, you know, this. This was a nice challenge to think about something outside of the box that wasn't recent, as it were.
Jake: So.
Chard: Yeah, this was a.
Jake: This was.
Chard: This was funny. This was funny. I have a tentacle hand warmer.
Jake: I can't believe you have a tentacle arm.
Dave: Of course you do. Yeah. The Dead Space remake is so good. Oh, my God, it's so good. I love it.
Chard: Fantastic. We just finished it, so.
Dave: Yeah.
Jake: Again, I wish they'd do another one. Man. I wish they were gonna do 2 and 3, but it sounds like they shut that down. God, they did.
Chard: And I heard that they shut down a fourth one, too, that they were.
Dave: Trying to present sometimes unreal. Like, just come on. Like.
Jake: Yeah, it's sold well, I thought. First one anyway. Yeah.
Chard: It was enough to get three out of it and a remake. So I don't know.
Dave: Yeah, that's crazy. One little honorable mention for me is a very similar. Because I played both these games pretty much back to back last year was I played Dead Space remake, and then just before that, I played the re4 remake.
Jake: Okay. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Dave: And there's those. I don't know. I couldn't find the name of what they are. There's the guys where, like, their heads explode and then all these tentacles come out of it.
Chard: Yeah, yeah, those guys.
Dave: Freakish. Like, when that first happened, I was like, what the. Like, I find them to be insanely annoying to. To waste all your bullets on, essentially, because they. They takes way too long to take them down. But I think it's such a crazy, creative way to have an enemy and an unexpected one, especially when it first happens. And I just. It's very creative, very cool. And I. I think it was implemented really well in the remake and that and Dead Space. Like, both of those. If anyone hasn't played them and. Or you haven't, like, never finished the originals, just go play them. And then those enemies are just, like, small examples of why those games are awesome. So.
Jake: Yep.
Dave: Yeah, I wanted to throw that one in there, too.
Chard: Nice.
Jake: Yeah, I played the. I played two and three, the original ones. I never played the remakes. I. I know I need to because Capcom has been crushing it with their new engine, the RE engine.
Dave: Yeah.
Jake: And it's like, I love what they're doing with Monster Hunter coming up, so I. I really should play the remakes. And I never did finish the first game, and I never played after the third one. And I always feel like I should have played it. I've seen Charge and both play through. I think seven or eight, which is the one with the.
Chard: I played seven and eight.
Jake: Step on me, mommy. Is that eight?
Chard: That's eight. That would be.
Dave: That's eight that I have that next. I. The only thing about 8 is I'm not sold that I want to play an RE game in first person. I don't know. I don't.
Chard: It's worth it. Seven and eight brought me back to the franchise. Seven and eight, like it lost me after five and seven and eight brought me back.
Dave: That's the. That's what happened with a lot of people apparently.
Chard: So, so good. I can't wait for nine. If they keep doing the same kind of concept, it's going to be so good.
Jake: There's going to be nine, I think. I bet you nine gets announced this year. Yeah, because I think. Because eight came out a couple years now and. And Capcom's been on a roll with these game releases, so I think they have. They've done like February and then we'll see.
Dave: The remakes are so good. Like they actually remake five and then.
Chard: The release of nine.
Dave: Yeah, why not? Why not?
Jake: Well, Code Veronica is the one. Code Veronica is the other one I played on Dreamcast. I would love to see that one get a remake because that's one I played. Okay, but I don't know what they would do. But I mean, if they remake four, then why not Code Veronica, right? All right, guys. Well, it's good to do a grab bag episode once in a while. Right? Again, like you said, touched on other games that we may not have played through. And I'm glad somebody brought retro games to the table and it wasn't me or Chart. Dave, I appreciate you being on brand for us.
Chard: Fired. It's fine.
Jake: Yeah, but it doesn't count. You inspire me. Wow. It's crazy. It's crazy. Not like my family friendly picks, honestly.
Dave: Come on.
Jake: Tentacle party Nuns with asmr dlc. It's. It's great. Dave, how about you tell folks where they can find you and a little bit about your show. I don't know if we did that yet.
Dave: And yeah, I mean, I'm on social media mostly just blue sky at this point, but Dave Petro is where you can find me personally. And remember, 64 is now back, as you mentioned, the first episode in six months. We are going through the entire Nintendo 64 library, whether we like it or not. The way I tend to put it is we play everything. That's the Good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between, because there's lots of that. It is an awkward generation of consoles and I kind of love it for that. And like I mentioned earlier in the episode, I think just as a kid, you play the stereotypical stuff that you think of when you think of the N64. So there's so much stuff that already only 50 games in roughly 52ish games in different ones that we've played. I would say half of them I never played before. And that's great and I love that. And so many of them are awesome. So I'm sad that it took this long for me to play them. So it's a great way to just sit down and talk about, you know, random games and play something for the first time or revisit it. You know, sometimes you revisit something and you go, oh yeah, I don't know about that.
Jake: And referring into that a handful of Mr. Mosquito.
Chard: I'm looking forward to the Mr. Mosquito episode.
Jake: No, that. That was PlayStation. That was a place.
Chard: Oh, is that PlayStation?
Jake: Yeah, the PS2 game char. That's the power of the PS2. We can't do that on the N64.
Dave: Come on. Oh, you can. You could play Resident Evil 2 on the N64. Apparently. So there's that. And actually surprisingly, it's not bad.
Chard: It's surprisingly not bad.
Dave: Yep. Doom 64 is actually I played that. I guess that was roughly a year ago. Maybe just under a year ago. As of as if we're sitting here. One of the best, like sort of retro style Doom games that they made.
Jake: It is really good.
Dave: It's one of the better ones for sure. And they. It's on Steam and stuff too. Like it's just really cool levels and stuff like that. Yeah. Anyways, it's fun, it's great. It's just a way to sort of go through and play some random games, talk to people about it and. And just shoot the shit about the N64. Why not? You know? So remember 64 is what it's called. And if you want to find a Patreon page, if you want to find it on social Media, it's remember 64, show all one word. And that's it.
Jake: Perfect.
Dave: Yeah, that's me.
Jake: Yeah. I'll leave a link in our description once. I remember too, after the, after we go off the. Off the air, you just remind me I have to play Buck Bumble for the Wheel of Pain from last year. Still, I have to play two hours of that. But I think You've said it was good, dude, I love what I've heard.
Dave: I thought it was so good. It's so, so good. I would say that first half hour to 45 minutes, like, okay. I'm kind of getting used to the controls and sort of like the speed of it and whatever. I thought it was great. It was one of those ones I never played. I knew of it and never played it. And I was pleasantly surprised. And in a couple days I played through the whole thing. I. I thought it was great. That was awesome.
Jake: Yeah. Oh, maybe it won't be so painful. I think. I think it will be.
Dave: I don't think it will.
Jake: I don't think it will be.
Dave: I don't think it will be.
Jake: All right. All right. Awesome chart. How about you? Where can folks find you?
Chard: Find me here. You can find me on YouTube on my own channel, but you can mostly find me here with Press B to cancel and the other crew members. You could find me a lot over at www. Twitch TV Chardmonk, playing all kinds of stuff. I'm starting my Sisyphean game. Maybe tonight I can get my ass back up in here after the episode's done. And definitely going to be playing that tomorrow as well. And chipping away at some wukong while I'm at it and figuring out what to do with my life, I guess. I don't know, we can go on that little journey. So, yeah, come and check me out over there. It's. It's a lot of fun. And then always here with these guys on Friday, so.
Jake: And I'm sick, Jake. No KN sick. I want anybody who's listening to us if you're us me right now. If you're interested in other Press B related content, follow me on YouTube. S, I, C J, A K, E. I have something starting in February. I was going to start it this month, but work is kicking my ass, so I'm going to start it in February. I have a new thing I'm going to be doing weekly. I'll give more information once I release it. Otherwise, you can definitely find me here at Pressby to cancel. You can find our show on what, pressby2cancel.com or pressby.org notpressb.com because we can't afford it. You can also find us mostly over at bluesky because I'm really kind of done with X and Instagram and Facebook. I love Bluesky. Find us there or find us on YouTube or if you like to listen to your podcast, which a lot of folks do and have been lately. Thank you. You can find us on any of your favorite podcast apps. If there's a podcast app that you listen to and you don't see us there, you let me know. You come to our website and hit up our discord and let me know and I'll add you. Also, we are part of the Superpod Network of podcast. A lot of great podcasting that can be found there, including Dave show. Remember 64 as well. I believe I'm doing a guest spot on a three do podcast with Thrack and Bill soon. I'm looking forward to doing that. Of course. Superpot Saga with Aaron and his. And his and his buddies. Those. That's always a good time. Just. Gosh, who else is on there? There's.
Dave: You're coming back on my show, man. Come back on my show.
Jake: Yes, I do need an episode of you as well. I'm trying to think. I'm growing a blank. There's. There's a bunch of great shows I've been listening to. I have to. I have to make a list. I. I love the network. I love that we're part of it. We've been doing really well since we joined the Soup Pod Network. So thank you to all the new listeners who check catching out our show. It's been fantastic. But yeah, I'll definitely want to do remember 64 as well now that you're back. Waiting for you to come back. I like your show. I listen to your show every week. So. All right. I guess that's it. That's the show. Thanks for everybody for listening and talk to you next week.
Chard: It.
Jake: Yeah.
Dave: I have not played that game. All right. At least I don't think I have. I can't remember which.
Chard: I don't like TRPGs, but it's a damn good one. It's a good one.
Dave: Me too. I am not the JRPG guy. I am on the same page.
Jake: Okay. Oh, I just cough up this chicken sandwich, then we'll get started.
Chard: I used to be a JRPG guy. Then I got tired of people talking to me.
Jake: Seriously.
Dave: That's what happened.
Chard: It's just sick of talking to NPCs that I stopped playing. I got. I got over it.
Dave: Real slow starts, man. Slow burns are not just. I can't anymore with the slow burns. Get to the point.
Chard: Half of me wants to play Persona, but then the other half of me goes, I don't want to talk to people that bad.
Dave: Or. Or metaphor. Like metaphor keeps getting. I'm just like, that sounds cool, but it Does.
Jake: Yeah. Do you have 100 hours free? I don't have 100 hours free.
Dave: No, I mean, I, I, I, I do. If I, if it takes seven years for me to play, bro, I got.
Chard: A 100 hours free this year. Maybe if I combine them.
Dave: Yeah, like, I'd rather play three smaller games than one giant one, honestly.
Jake: Fair. I keep telling myself, you know, I haven't played Mass Effect trilogy in forever. There's a reason for that. I don't have 200 hours set aside in the year.
Dave: I'd love to play three. I never played three, but I'm not going to.
Jake: Yeah, finish it.
Dave: I barely remember where I left off at the end of two. Yeah.
Jake: Now.
Dave: But again, the point. The thing is, it's like, like I, I have so many things I could play instead of just one thing. Like so many.
Chard: Bro, you are. Jake and I are the king of fomo. Of, of the press BE crew.
Jake: Yeah. You're talking about. Two guys are going to be playing Final Fantasy Rebirth in less than a month.
Chard: I am not touching that game. Jake. Don't care. Not playing.
Dave: Wait, which game?
Jake: We're not gonna like it.
Chard: You're gonna buy for me and I'll play it. But that's the only way I'll play. That is if you buy.
Dave: Wait, what is it?
Jake: You don't have it. What is it?
Chard: Final Fantasy Rebirth. I'm not.
Dave: Oh, yeah. Did you play the. The first. The first.
Chard: Unfortunately, both of us challenged each other to do it so we could figure out what the. Oh, that's the problem with Jake and I. Jake and I look at stuff and we're the first people to go, we're buying it day one. And we buy it day one. Even though everybody says, don't do it. We say, you, we're doing it. And then we play it. We go, why the did I buy this? Day one? This is awful. So most of it. Most of the games. Well, that's not true. We've had. We've had some pretty good luck. Dead Space was great. The remake, Silent Hill 2 remake was fantastic.
Dave: Yeah. Okay, I'm interested. I. I played the original way back in the day, but I barely remember it. I'm interested.
Chard: There's an episode about it and I gush about it. It was my game of the year for, for our podcast. It was absolutely for me.
Dave: And yeah, I got a home.
Jake: It's been Dragon's Dogma 2, which was not great, and Dragon's Age Veil Guard, which I never should have. I never should have bought it, but.
Chard: You know, we told you.
Jake: I'm like, over three even.
Chard: I told you not to.
Dave: I played that.
Jake: I. I didn't mind it.
Dave: I liked it. It wasn't amazing, but, like. Yeah, vgard. Yeah, it's like.
Jake: It's not. It's not bad. The combat's great. I love the combat, but the story was just. Yeah, the story was.
Dave: It's okay.
Jake: Yeah.
Dave: Yeah.
Chard: You don't buy for the story, though. You buy for the comment.
Jake: I mean, I just don't buy RPGs for stories. Not. Not in this podcast. No, we only.
Chard: We only do soulsborne for stories.
Jake: One item description at a time. All right, I'm gonna click live. Let me see where that is. I'm still coughing of a lung, though.
Dave: Just one, though. That's okay.
Jake: Popeyes was missing. You can go with two.
Chard: You only need one to survive.
Dave: Yeah, that's.
Jake: That's what the science organs. Is that what we're doing now?
Chard: Is that breathing out of that one lung?
Jake: It's easy.
Dave: Yeah.
Chard: Stop.
Dave: God. Just focus your energy. Damn it, Jake.
Chard: God damn.
Jake: You. Already struggle breathing at night. I need both my lungs, thank you very much. Chart. If I ever say Popeyes again, I want you to freaking just murder me. What a mistake the sandwich was.
Chard: I'm not gonna murder you, but I'm gonna tell you I told you so incessantly.
Dave: Sounds like this.
Chard: Then you're gonna say, murder me, and I'll be like, no, but I told you so.
Dave: Yeah, have another sandwich murder.
Chard: How about just go get another chicken.
Dave: Sandwich and both lungs will be knocked out. You'll be on the floor. That's it. That's all you have to do.
Chard: One ain't working. Squeeze in the other one.
Jake: I have to do is start a GoFundMe for another lung. How'd I lose the first one? Popeyes chicken sandwich.
Chard: Popeyes2go funding.
Dave: One for the sandwich, one for the lung.
Jake: Yeah, with the increase in prices, I do need two campaigns. It's like $12 for the sandwich.
Dave: Two lungs in this economy? Come on.
Jake: This economy, Lucky to get half a lung. That's crazy.