Josh Wells: I'm sp from better podcasting, a show dedicated to help make your podcast better. And it is part of the Gineek network. Just like the show you're checking out now. Shows on the network are individually owned and opinions expressed may not reflect others. Find other insightful and wonderful geeky shows at guinea geeknetwork.com.
Chris Osborne: And welcome to Play comics, where once again, we are here looking at a video game based on a comic property and how well it represents that source material. Today I'm really, really excited because we're looking at something that I knew existed, but that was about the extent of my knowledge before. And thankfully, I have somebody who is all over this one to help me out with it. We've got Josh Wells here, and we are taking a look at Inuasha, a feudal fairy tale. Josh, how are you doing today?
Josh Wells: I'm doing good, Chris. Thanks for having me on, man.
Chris Osborne: I'm so excited for just a little peek behind the curtain here. The email I got from you coming on for this episode reminded me of a four year old Christmas morning. And just from reading that, I knew we were in good shape.
Josh Wells: Yeah, 100%. Yeah. When I saw that this game was on the list, like, I was reading through and I'm like, okay, I'm sort of familiar with this one. Familiar with that one. Inuyasha, wait. Feudal fairy tale? I literally had that game, and that was, like, one of, like, that and ultimate dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Z, Ultimate 22 were both, like, very stealth releases at the time, and I got both of them.
Chris Osborne: Well, I'm very sorry that you had the Dragon Ball one.
Josh Wells: Yeah, no, that one was kind of a piece of crap.
Chris Osborne: But thankfully, this one is not.
Josh Wells: But the indian action one is actually pretty fun. Yeah, this one. This one, honestly isn't. It's very. It's like a very simple, simplistic fighting game with very simple commands. But it's pretty good. It's. It's not bad. I liked it back in the day.
Chris Osborne: Before we get too far into the game, though, let's take a look at the manga that it's based on, because this is where I'm really excited to learn about things. What is it that got you into Inuasha?
Josh Wells: So Inuyashta came at a period of time. It was on adult swim back in the day when adult swim was my favorite thing in the world because it was adult cartoons and I was a high schooler. Not even, actually, I think it was still in middle school when adult swim started to come on. And that's when I started getting really into anime. So it was perfect. I think anyone that grew up around that time that watched digital swim knew Inuyasha because it was on all the time. So just. Just by the fact that, like, that's what we had to watch back in those days. Trying to watch all the enemy that we could evenly. That we didn't have like, everything at our fingertips like we do nowadays, you know, by VHS's or Dragon Ball and this and that. So it was really all about the tv network watching experience for anime. So anyway, she just happened to be one of those things that was very prominently on adult swim.
Chris Osborne: And for anybody who, like me from two weeks ago, had no idea what was going on in this. What's the basic premise behind Inuyasha? And how hardly am I saying that name?
Josh Wells: Oh, the name Inuyasha. You're doing great. Who cares? People will know what you're talking about. So basic premise. And what I like about Inuyasha a lot is that there's a few things that happen at the top of the series. This girl goes into a well and comes out in feudal Japan where there's a bunch of demons running around. And she's. Oh, she's actually a. She's a descendant of this priestess family. She's almost like a reincarnation, I think, of one of the characters that Inuyasha himself interacted with. So she's a descendant from that family. That's why. I think that's why she can go down in the well and come out and feudal Japan. But she's like, you know, from current day, whatever current day was when Inuyasha was being made. Which is like two thousands to feudal Japan where there's demons. Then there's this jewel. Chris. There's this jewel. And Kagome, the lead. The female lead character, shoots a demon that's holding it. And it shatters and it goes everywhere. If you're a little bit familiar with dragon Ball, it's similar to when the dragon Balls are wished and then they fly everywhere. It's a very similar premise to that.
Chris Osborne: And then it seemed like from there it went almost monster of the week. Which is cool for me because I like that kind of thing. And it's easier for me to keep up with.
Josh Wells: Yes. I think it makes the series a lot more accessible and easier to jump into. So you didn't have to know. You honestly didn't have to know that Kagome came back, shot a demon jewel explodes. That's really all you need to know. To know anything. And then you learn about. It's really all about the interpersonal character dynamics. Inuyasha basically is a soap opera in feudal Japan with demons and some action. That's what Inuyasha is.
Chris Osborne: It seems like everything is a soap opera. So what is it you think about anime and manga that just really lets people lean into that?
Josh Wells: Everyone, whether they want to admit it or not, loves to see drama happen. I, as a longtime wrestling fan, am totally okay with wrestling being a soap opera with half naked, sweaty guys. I'm totally cool with that. It's. It's. You know, it's basic human drama. People. People are obsessed with that in real life. Some people are more obsessed with that in fictional characters lives. But I. Ultimately, it's just interesting to see other person's interpersonal relationships causing whatever. And Inuyasha is, oh, my goodness. There's like, two love triangles in the series. Then there's, like, another building relationship. So it's a soap opera, which. Yeah. Fans of fans of anime, fans of even comic books in general, like american comics. It's also proper.
Chris Osborne: So one thing I've really been wondering here is, okay, so first off, I somehow missed all of this anime on Cartoon network and adult swim and everywhere else. I have no idea what I was doing because I was the right age to hit it. I was just busy doing something else.
Josh Wells: First off, don't be ashamed of that.
Chris Osborne: Well, I mean, I could have watched Dragon Ball already.
Josh Wells: You could also be outside, too. So don't feel bad for not sitting down watching anime and cartoons like I did all the time.
Chris Osborne: How much of people's love for these series do you think comes from them actually being good versus those being the anime that we had available, and so they were gonna love it no matter what.
Josh Wells: Yeah. Inuyasha is that. I think that's like, the. The relationship that a lot of people have with Inuyasha is that it was just there. And people. People will. Fans of it, fans of the series will note its flaws, and they'll still be okay with it because it's still. It's still a fun series to watch. And again, the monster of the week makes it easy to come back to it. But shows like, even, like dragon Ball, there's a lot of flaws in Dragon Ball Z. It's. It's got a very similar repeated arc. Fight, bad guy train. Fight, bad guy train. Fight, bad guy train. There's. There's flaws in everything that everybody loves. And, like, we. We realize that, and we. We give leeway. And we give grace to these things because of whatever. Whatever makes them them comes with those flaws. Other, other shows around the that period, like the stuff on Toonami Yu Yo Hakusho is a really good series. It's probably a little bit better written. At least a good portion of it is better written than, like, in the Usher dragon ball, but like, yeah, that's a good question. I'm trying to think of what other animes that we had back then. My cat scratched in my chair. I feel like you can go back and enjoy stuff. And I've been watching a few episodes of Inuyasha lately, and I'm just like, this is good.
Chris Osborne: Yeah. I seem to remember people in high school watching cowboy Bebop and talking about it, but I mean, I've gone back and watched that and now I'm just annoyed that my wife wanted to watch other things with me. So I'm gonna need to start again. But you still have that same little monster of the week kind of aspect to it where I'm gonna be able to jump in and be fine.
Josh Wells: Yeah. Yeah. Cowboy bebop is one of those. So there's like, a few generational animes that come out, you know, every decade or so. And cowboy Bebop really seems to be that for people of the nineties or two thousands, cowboy Bebop is looked on as one of those, like, very, very good series that, like, everybody universally loves. And, I mean, I do like it. It's not my favorite anime. It's probably not close to it. But, like, you watch it, it's enjoyable to. I think any anime fan, no matter where their. No matter where their preferences lie. You know what I mean?
Chris Osborne: So what is it really about Inuasha that made you wet your pants? Seeing that you could come talk about it.
Josh Wells: So the big thing is that, I mean, it's obviously just nostalgia, right? It's nostalgia. It is me having that game on PS one and playing it a lot when I was a kid, even though there's not much to it, you can literally just unlock all of the characters with a code, which I did eventually, but it's just like, yeah, it's one of those gems from childhood. I just sat around watching a lot of Inuyasha as a kid, teenager or whatever, and it's. I don't know, it's just a look, a relic of the past. And I do. It's very. It's a very iconic series, despite all of its, like, flaws and negative things that people will say about it. I love seeing Inuyasha fight a monster of the week. I love the other characters. It's, again, the characters. Characters are really strong, and that's what really makes the series and even the game, to be honest, because the game doesn't have that much story. The series doesn't have that much story. It's a monster of the week kind of thing. But the characters are good every week, so. Yeah, I was like, ooh, wow.
Chris Osborne: That's something I can really appreciate though, too. Like, they know what they're doing. They're gonna go in, they're gonna do it, and then they're gonna go do the next thing. And, you know, it just happens to be that they're looking for more pieces of a jewel. So they're doing that for forever. But you know what you're getting into.
Josh Wells: Yeah. You. Every episode, you know what's going to happen. But, like, there's, like, a lot of tv, american tv shows like that, too. So it's. It's. It's a tried and true. It's a tried and true method, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's just like, you have. You have anime sort of, like, long running stories, like, one piece that actually just doesn't touch because it doesn't have really even that much continuity comparatively well.
Chris Osborne: It also has less than 3 million episodes, so it kind of needs to push things along a little bit more.
Josh Wells: Yeah. Which is a benefit to not have 3 million episodes, because it's a lot.
Chris Osborne: One thing I really did like about watching Inuasha, though, was that it wasn't too much for my wife to handle sometimes, like, some of the horror aspects, I was a little bit worried about that when I was seeing those warnings when the show started, but it wasn't too much for her. I can definitely see where they would want the warnings on there, especially if it was on tv back in the day. But, you know, maybe don't watch it with a five year old. Other than that, you're probably fine.
Josh Wells: Right? And one of the things I like a lot about Inuyasha, retrospectively thinking about it now that I've been, again watching the series, playing the game, is that it's accessible, because it's not like I think anyone could sit down watching Asha enjoy it. Man, woman, even, like, depending on how old a child is, I think it's good. The show, the manga is written by a woman, and so it's not like this testosterone filled fricking joyride, super action, bloody and gory stuff. Yeah. Anyone could watch it. It's a very accessible show to anyone, which, again, is a big plus for the show. So that's. Yeah, I really appreciate, appreciate that about the show, too.
Chris Osborne: Well, on that note, I'm going to drop some promos for a few other things, and then we'll come back and talk about this game.
Josh Wells: Heck yeah.
Background: What's up, everybody? Patrick Higgy junior here, editor in chief of Legacy Comics, telling you all about our newest mini omnibus, Brooklyn bleeds the first week. It's a zombie tale you've never experienced before. It follows an energetic chow chow named Herzhon as he navigates through Brooklyn with zombies. It's homeward bound meets Beast of Burden. It's a different type of zombie tale. It's something you've never experienced before. Brooklyn bleeds the first week now available on legacycomics.com.
Chris Osborne: Get it? Do you feel like you're the only person in your circle who wants to go deep about video games regularly?
Background: We were like that too, until now.
Chris Osborne: Welcome to prosplay conversations, the brand new bi weekly topical video game podcast from Luke Lewis, Joseph Hooper, and Jacob McCord. With many years of breaking it down separately on shows like the left behind game club, player Player podcast, and Lukewarm games, the gang is finally coming together to publish their gaming group chat and audio form every other week.
Background: Expect roundtable reviews of the latest games, profiles of upcoming indies, and insightful conversations about essential topics in the video game industry, all with a mostly positive, insightful and fun style.
Josh Wells: Help us out by subscribing on your.
Chris Osborne: Podcast platform of choice to get the first episodes delivered straight to your feed.
Background: And follow us on Twitter rossplayCollector convos for updates about the show.
Chris Osborne: Cheers and happy gaming. That was some great stuff to check out. First, let's finish up with this one. So, Josh, one of the things that I was really excited for was I just love fighters. Like, I'm not good at them by any means, but I love playing them.
Josh Wells: Me either.
Chris Osborne: And so seeing that this was a fighting game was just an instant. Oh crap, I'm gonna have some fun with this one.
Josh Wells: To me, yes. So I've always been a big fan of fighter since I was a kid. Again, like you, I'm not good at them. There was a few. There's like maybe like two games where I poured a lot of hours and I even have a fight stick that I've been playing with. It's like an Xbox 360 I got it for. It was a straightforward four one. So, like, I'm a big enough fan to have, like, fight stick. But I'm not a big enough fan to pour hours and hours and hours and hours of practice into, um, because. Yeah, button. But maneuvering is hard. But Inuyasha, again, accessible because all the special attacks are on the square button. So you don't have to have those little quarter circle forward comments, you know.
Chris Osborne: A feudal fairy tale was released on April 10, 2003 over here in North America. Obviously, Japan got it a few months earlier than that because they get all the cool stuff before us and only released on the PS one. It was made by Dimps and Bandai. Dimps was created as a studio from some people who had left S K and Capcom. So they've got that fighting game pedigree sitting there just in their essence. And Bandai sometimes knows what they're doing and other times puts out Dragon Ball GT final bout.
Josh Wells: Yes. So it's. It's like, it's a. Like I said, it's a simple fighter. Simplistic fighter. But yeah, you got combo abilities there. Again, like, everything's on the square as far as, like, special attacks go. So it's. It's easier to chain combos when you're, like, a less experienced fighting game player. Yeah, the game works. I think there's actually. I looked up that there. I looked up stuff about the game, and it seems like there might be a small community of people actually, like, still playing the game together because I think there was, like, some netcode stuff that I was reading about. I haven't tried it myself. I probably. I'd probably get whooped at the game because I'm not that good. Even. Even one button combinations I'm still not good at. But there's like, there's a parry system that's questionable. We'll get onto that in a second. There's, you know, special attacks, like all that. All that kind of stuff. So, yeah, it's. It's a well made. There's even tag battles. So it's a well made thing. And there's plenty of, like, options and different things you can do with your characters.
Chris Osborne: I think the characters is a really great place to start with this because this is a fighting game that I think actually kind of has a story, despite not really having a story. It's got an unofficial, under the radar story in that when you start the game, you can be Inuasha or you can be Kagome, and that is it. And then you can go unlock people, but that's who you're starting off the series with anyway. So you're picking people up as you go along. Like you actually would be reading the manga or watching the anime.
Josh Wells: Yeah, this is actually a good point because you get them. It seems like you get them in order of how they're introduced. Sort of. Not entirely, but like, the main cast of heroes, at least. Yeah. So they. They have a mode. I think it's called feudal fairy tale, if I remember correctly from just playing earlier today. And it's a little map. It's a little map. You go around and, yes, you jump on a spot, and then if there's, like, a character there, you fight the character. If there's, like, a little glowing spot, that means that there's a jewel shards there, and then you have a chance to get it. If there's a character on one of those glowing spots, there's a chance to get a jewel shard from them. There's, like, a special move that you can do for each character that lets you take people's jewel shards or at least knock them free so you can grab them. Jewel shards unlock. And characters. So there's. The mode itself is. It's fun. Then you get character interactions, which I think is probably the biggest part of the game. And again, biggest part of the series is the inter. The characters interpersonal relationships. So, you know, you have Inuyasha fighting with his brother, and then you run into him and, you know, run into him in game, and then there's a little conversation between them like you'd expect in the show. So that mode is. It's a fun mode. There's probably, like, a total of maybe eight different things you can do on the map. And then you fight Naraku, and then you do it over again. But it's still. It's still a fun mode. And again, you get those character interactions. Also, you get character interactions with characters that don't necessarily talk with one another. Like, you have Meroku and Kadara or. Or even Todosai and Naraku or whatever characters that don't necessarily interact with each other all the time. So that's a bonus. That was really cool for me when I was playing, and I was a fan of Indianasha. So that mode is pretty well done for the most part.
Chris Osborne: And you also get interactions that are different depending on who the characters are interacting with, not just the street fighter. Two or three lines that they could be saying style of things. So they're saying things that actually make sense when you're looking at who they're talking to.
Josh Wells: They 100% do. And then there's. Each time you play it. There's a few different interactions too. Like, if you're playing Kagome, you might face Maruku by himself, or you might end up facing him with Sango being able to tag in or out for her. So it's not the same every time, although it's limited. If you play as like, Kagome a billion times in a few fairy tale, you're not gonna have like, endless options. But, you know, you play her once, you play her twice, you have some different options to play with. So it's fun. If you're a fan of whichever character, you want to see them interact with whatever character. Again, it's a fun mode. It's a pretty good single player mode for fighters.
Chris Osborne: I thought a beautiful touch too was if you're playing as Naraku, then Kikyo is the final boss instead. So just changing the story up like that, actually adapting to how you're playing, it's such a small little thing, but it really shows how much the people working on this cared about the franchise that they were making a game based off of.
Josh Wells: Yeah, they 100% cared. All the move sets are. They are how you would imagine the characters fight. So it's. It's very well done. The movesets are very flavorful for the characters. Morocco even can throw women by rubbing their butt. That's a. That's a move in the game.
Chris Osborne: It was nineties slash, two thousands anime. I mean, it's kind of.
Josh Wells: I mean, honestly, it hasn't gotten any better. But yes, let's, let's. For sure it was nineties, two thousands anime. And eventually one day we'll be like, okay, maybe that's not happening, but it's just, this is what anime is. Again. You accept anime with all its flaws. You just have to otherwise get enjoy it.
Chris Osborne: It's one of the joys of enjoying something from a different culture. Sometimes they're just going to have different values from you and there's nothing you can do about it.
Josh Wells: Yep, that's absolutely true. Let's accept and move on the story in the game.
Chris Osborne: Besides, that is pretty simple. You're. You're going through and fighting people and fighting, and then you fight some more.
Josh Wells: Very true to the anime. You're. You're fighting people. You're looking for jewel shards. That's the story. Now, I don't know if you were looking to talk about some of the mechanics of the game because I have a few. Oddly enough, I have a few critiques for an old game.
Chris Osborne: Oh, let's do it. Because fighting mechanics are just something that fascinate me.
Josh Wells: Okay. So I like the parry system in it. It's like, you can use it as a combo breaker, which is cool. It's just, you can use it all of the time, and it's hard. Like, it's rewarding. All right, so, like, in a fighter, once you've, like, started comboing somebody, you combo them until your combo is done. You drop them from your. You drop them from your combo, or you finish your combo. Whatever. Whatever happens in killer instinct, there's a combo breaker and you're able to break your opponent's combo. But that's on gauge in Inuyasha, you're able to break it anytime you want, really, as long as you. If you guess low or mid or high, which is the, you know, you block it the same. If you guess low or mid high, then you can parry it. So I. I like the parry system. I really wish it were on a gauge and you couldn't use it all the time. So I would start these combos, and then I start hitting the guy, and then he just, like, pushes me off and I'm just, come on. It took even to get in. In that game isn't the easiest because, like, not everybody has, like, a forward air dash. So, like, there are characters that are really good at getting in. There's Koga. Koga's extremely good at getting in. But there's some characters that have a hard time with approach and having combos parried. I just. It's. I wish that it was on a gauge and it would be perfect. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. It's not a game that's being updated nowadays. But if I could go back in time and be like, just change this thing, and the game would be a lot better because you could parry the whole match. And then the matches go on a little bit too long, in my opinion. I was playing. I was playing mostly a feudal fairy tale or feudal fairytale mode. And today I just unlocked all the characters so I could at least play with all the characters so I would know I'm talking about a little bit. And then I, um. That was, like, those were timed so I didn't set, like, the timer off. And, like, most of my matches ended by, like, timeout. So, um, I think there's too much.
Chris Osborne: Parrying in the game just on principle. I hate the parry system because I can never pull it off and people pull it off against me.
Josh Wells: Same, same. That's what I kept having. I eventually got a little bit better at it. The more I played it, but still, I was still not good at it. And they just broke all my combos. So, you know, I would just end up throwing tons of projectiles out, which I have thoughts on the projectiles, too.
Chris Osborne: One thing I found really interesting here is just how imbalanced the characters are. Like you said there, you've got some people that have air dashes and some people that don't. And you're always going to have people who are better at one aspect of the game, which inherently makes them worse at a different aspect. And that's just kind of a way of balancing characters. And that part's fine. But it seems like some of these characters were just so much better than others that it's a little bit ridiculous.
Josh Wells: Yep. Yeah, you're absolutely right. Characters like Inuyasha and Koga and Miroku are seemingly much better than their counterparts because they have. They have ways of getting in. Inuyasha is a rush down character. Koga is a rushdown. So it's like a very rush down, heavy rewarded game, which doesn't feel the best because, you know, you have rush down characters in like, games like Guilty Gear and even Street Fighter, of course, that are feel a little bit more balanced and, um, you know, they don't. It's not like the whole game is all rushed down, characters being the only viable ones, but in this game, it kind of is. I think they had the idea that, like, there were characters that were going to be strong with projectiles and that that would kind of measure up. But, like, it's even look at Kagome and her. Her design and she's mostly ranged because she has a bow and she shoots. She shoots her bow. That's. I think that's her neutral and or her forward square and even on her regular, her stronger attacks, rather. She has a lot of range on her bow strikes, but she has to get off me attack for her back square, but she still feels like she's just going to get dominated by a Koga or a demon Inuyasha or an Inuyasha because she just doesn't have that real ability up close. You're going to have to depend on all those parries. You're going to really get a parries to get them off you.
Chris Osborne: That's where a game like Street Fighter really shines because you've got your characters that need to win from far away like that. But they also usually come with a better way of getting far away. And here it almost seems like people who needed a little more experience making these kind of games because they're making the things that fans think they want, but then when you actually implement it, it doesn't really work out the way you thought it would.
Josh Wells: Yeah, I think this game had a lot of good ideas. Again, I would like to see. I would like to see a mainstream fighting game be this simple and be this accessible to play. Because, I mean, I think everyone that plays a fighting game, or at least casual fans, can, like, pop in, like, command moves or special moves, but, like, some of the combos are just really intricate in those games. You can get some basic stuff off, but, like, Inuyasha gives you the chance to at least, like, feel good. But, yeah, the roster imbalance is definitely there. I think they had, and I really do think they had an idea about how characters with, like, stronger projectiles would have a chance against those characters, and it just doesn't work out. Even though projectiles in this game are very strong and they're big and they. There's a lot of chump block damage. There's a lot of damage on chump blocking and, you know, characters that if you get into a situation where you can keep locking him down with a bow or keep locking him down with whatever, like Morocco's ability is. Sango has a huge hitbox on her projectile, but it's, like, really slow and leaves her open. So she's like a really weedy character. Sango is, which kind of disappointing, but I feel like they. They made these projectiles really strong, have really good speed, have big hitboxes, but again, like, you have characters with air dashes that can get over that. So again, doesn't really work out. Doesn't really work out the way that they plan to. But, you know, it's a. It's a. It's a perfect starting out spot for Dimms. Right.
Chris Osborne: The characters being the maintain focus of this game. And really, I think why anybody wanted to go play it. You've got a roster of twelve characters and eleven of which you can actually really play as. Is there anybody that they're really missing? That's a big, glaring omission.
Josh Wells: No, I was looking that up a little bit myself. Some people were just like, they could have had some one off characters they could add. I can't honestly think of any other characters that they could have added. I mean, if they want to add some. Some popular ones. Yeah. But this is. It's a pretty. It's a small guess. It's a monster of the week anime. They don't in the show they tend not to overuse like Shishomaru and Yasha's brother or Naraku and Kagura. They're not there. The villains aren't there every week. But, you know, it works. The series itself works like that. They have a small main cast and a small main cast of the least. At least of the ones that can fight and even the ones that can't. They at least show up in the game in like, many games or whatever. I mean, the cast is all there. Which, to be fair, having a smaller cast is a plus because there's a lot of enemies out there that have had a larger cast that have characters that get left in the dust. You have a dragon Ball Z. You have a Naruto. You have a my hero. Academia. There's. There's so many that I can name that if you pick a favorite character, you end up having a favorite character, your favorite character, because they keep adding more, adding more, adding more, adding more. It just dilutes a. The character pool and it dilutes any chance of you caring about anybody if there's just like, so many. So many choices around and your favorite characters, that can be screen time. So anyhow, she does a really good job of making sure that its core cast of characters are what's being focused on. So I don't think it's a bad thing having that small roster.
Chris Osborne: So as we start to wind things down, what do you think this game really gets wrong? Looking at Inuasha as a manga adaptation.
Josh Wells: I don't really get that much wrong. I feel like. I feel like they do a really good job of bringing the series to the game. That's. That's honestly the best I can say. It's. It's. It's a middle of the road fighter, but as far as, like, an adaptation, it's. It's above. It's. It's a. It's above average. As far as, like, a good adaptation for an anime game goes. It's just. It's just super solid. Again, the movesets are perfect. I couldn't. I just couldn't think of anything that they left out of the movesets. The one player story mode with all the characters. I don't think they missed a beat there. They did a really good job of bringing Inuyasha into your hands with a controller. They did an excellent job there. They just didn't do the best of jobs ever making a fighting game. So, I mean, that's totally fine.
Chris Osborne: Yeah. Even with my limited experience watching this and reading it like, it just seems to me that anything they got wrong really comes down to, oh, they had to make a game. So gameplay mechanics, I never hold against them.
Josh Wells: Yeah. And yeah, I would agree with you entirely. Yeah, it was. I enjoyed it back in the day, and I enjoyed it catching back up with it.
Chris Osborne: What do you think are the biggest things that this one really gets right?
Josh Wells: The biggest thing that it really gets right is the character flavor, the characters in the story mode, and the characters movesets. I mean, I think we've echoed this a few times already, but it. With how well it does doing that, I think I can say it a bunch of times, and it doesn't sound like I'm just repeating myself for no reason. They do an excellent job. You want to play your favorite Inuyasha character, you're gonna play them. You're gonna feel like you're playing, man. It's good.
Chris Osborne: If you knew somebody who really wanted to get into Inuasha, would you give them this game as a bit of a primer course?
Josh Wells: Um, I would. I would. Yeah, I think I would. Because, again, you don't have to know that much about Inuyasha. And if you played this game first before watching. Before watching any episodes, you would know who the characters are and you know, who. Who they like for whatever reasons. You know who they hate for whatever reasons. And it sets it up, basically. And somebody might go from this game. If I recommended this game, they played this game, then they go to the series, and they're just like, oh, my gosh, it must be so. There must be so much more that I can learn about this world and these characters. There's not. But that's okay. You're still gonna get enjoyment because it's still a fun monster of the week anime to watch. So I would recommend it.
Chris Osborne: Honestly, the fact that there isn't a ton more is, like, the only thing that's making me think, okay, maybe nothing. But, I mean, that's almost punishing it for being too on point. And I feel like that's a horrible thing to do.
Josh Wells: Yeah, no, it's as simple and as accessible as the anime itself, so it's not a bad thing.
Chris Osborne: And finally, if you could take any muppet and have them be one of the demons that they had to fight in the show, who would it be?
Josh Wells: Oh, I think it would have to be. It would have to be animal, wouldn't it? I think. I think animal against, like, a full demon. Inuyasha is just the energy and the craziness that would be fighting full demon Inuyasha against animal. It'd be a rage like all fuel. Japan would be destroyed.
Chris Osborne: That was exactly what I was worried about because I don't think either one of them would be able to survive that. Well, Josh, it has been great talking to you about all of this. If people want to hear more from you, where else can they find you? Around the Internet?
Josh Wells: Yeah, great. Thanks for having me on first off. And yeah, you can find me on any socials. Character wells. I'm a voice actor and improviser. So I did want to plug one of the audio dramas that I'm part of coming up soon. It's called the mortal verse audio dramas. It's all fan made DC Universe audio dramas like audio drama series and seeing your comic book podcast, I think there's people check it out, and it's gonna be a fun time. It's really well made with a lot of really good quality voice actors. So yeah, check out moral verses also. It's also on X if you're. If you're looking to interact.
Chris Osborne: And as always, we'll have links to all that stuff down in the show notes because clicking links is so much easier than trying to remember how to spell things. Especially because I can still link you to Twitter.com and it gets you to the right spot.
Josh Wells: Yeah, that. Sure. It sure works a lot better.
Chris Osborne: As always, if you want to hear more from me, the best place to do that is to head on over to playcomics.com, where there's links to all the social media things. That's all I'm willing to say right now because everything is a dumpster fire. But you can see things. If you want to help support the show, the best way to do that is to tell people about it. Well, may they be your friends, your enemies, I don't know, whoever, random people on the street. I mean, you can always be like, oh, no, lit class and Dan McMahon and give the show money because that does always help. But, you know, just going and leaving a review on places like Apple podcasts and pod chasers, always a big help. You know, that's everything I could ever ask for. And show me that you did that, and I'll send you a sticker and something else, which is right now a surprise. But I have the other something else's in my house. Don't forget to play. Comics is a part of the guinea geek.com network, home to such other wonderful shows as legends of S H I E l D, where we've been looking at X Men, evolution, but next time we're gonna take a special break and do Wolverine and Deadpool. Deadpool and Wolverine. I can't remember which way it goes because I'm refusing to look at anything that could give me a spoiler. If you like the music I'm rudely talking on top of right now, head on over to Soundcloud.com best j to check out Bestday's music. But most of all, grab a game, grab a stack of comics, and go find yourself a new favorite character. I seem to remember people talking about crap like 5 seconds ago I could have told you. What was the one that Netflix made? Not one piece, but the other one.
Josh Wells: Oh, the live action redo. Oh, one piece. Not one piece, but cowboy bebop. Cowboy bebop?
Chris Osborne: Yeah, it was made by dimps and I scrolled to the wrong spot. Where did it go?